Monday, August 18, 2014

One moreee!

"Sooo remember that time when all we ate were... tangerines... dooo dadooo da dooo dooooo." - Regina Spektor.

But really. 

You know there is something really hard about writing every week, because the mission is one of those- you had to be there things. I try to explain in the best I can but its just one of those things you have to understand. There were 6000 ups and 6000 downs and interestingly enough the words "up" and "down" don't exist here. its the same as above and below... sooo fact for inquiring minds.

Jade will come! I have faith that little baby will jump right out of there when the time is right. PROBS on Dads birthday to upstage him! HAPPY BIRTHDAY DADDY! Also, I cant believe Josh will serve a mission in New York! That's so cool! Tell him congrats, its the hardest thing I've ever done in my whole life, but at the same time I wouldn't give a second back. AND tell Uncle Baloo CONGRATS when the time comes. Being a Grandpa is something I will never know anything about, but I'm sure its almost as cool as being an Aunt.

This week we set a goal in our zone for everyone to baptize ONE more person than they already had. (My idea) (just kidding- idea of the spirit) so we all go out and start finding people who have already been to church who fell through for some reason or other. We think about the neighbor of a less active so we call her and ask if we can come visit. Then we receive a call from someone in a different ward who used to live next door to them as well and he says- have you ever visited Felipe? Ive been thinking about Felipe. So this is all obviously a sign right? So we go there AND we mark a baptism for Sunday of Felipe. WOOHOO right? Sooo he is a teenager who has already been to church something like 5 times, but the missionaries never even visited him because he literally lives in the boondocks. So we mark a date and the next day it is POURING rain and we didn't have money for the bus. So we are walking the 4km to his house and we get a call- his mom retracted permission. HE CANT GET BAPTIZED. And he is DEPRESSED and we are DEPRESSED. And my companion is screaming in the rainy dirty street- does she even LOVE her son?! It was like a Travis Mills film you know? HAHA. So we all calm down a little and say a prayer. We decide it is best to turn back. Not to visit. So yesterday we decide its time, and we make the trek there and talk to his mom. She is like- okay- he can GO to church he just cant get baptized yet. SO that's a step. We´ll work with it! Small victories every day!

On another note my companion has announced to the whole world that I am a full-fledged Brasilian. I CANT eat without rice and beans. Like- I don't get full, people ask what we eat in the US and I start to think... I don't even know how anyone gains weight there without eating a kilo of rice and beans at every meal. Its a problem. Also, recently its been SUPER dry here. Like... Arizona dry. People complain about it and I'm just like- NORMAL.

The other sisters moved in this week and President called me yesterday to say we are going to have 2 more in our house. Transfers are today so we will see who stays for it, but just imagine 6 sisters in one house. Our bishop was like- I've never even seen that happen. Its gonna be CRAZY. I told president to pick the other two sisters with wisdom. If anyone likes to pick fights we are DONE FOR. Also, when we were talking to President apparently he was talking in English and we didn't even notice. So after Sister Armstrong and I are like- WOW that's so cool 3 sets of missionaries in one ward. And our companions are like... WAIT WHAT HAPPENED?! Hahaha. I think I've had one of the most unique missions you could even have. When I start putting it all together people are just dumb-founded. Ive also lived with Sister Armstrong now for 5 months, in 4 different houses 4 different times. Its cool. We are besties. 

My President in Montana one time told me- some people need the mission more than the mission needs them. Lately I've been feeling like I need the mission more than it needs me. I cant even remember who I was before this great test in my life, but I never want to go back. I know that Jesus Christ is my savior. That he is OUR Savior. He only could unlock the gate of heav´n and let us in.

With amor,
Sister Haley Mills

PS - say cururuquara 6 times fast. (Its one of our cities.) OR carapicuíba.
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment