Monday, April 14, 2014

Kisses, Baptisms, and Blenders

I want to start with that one time I accidentally broke the rules. And by that I mean- they have this custom here where everyone kisses everyone on the cheek. Only we cant kiss men... I guess. HAHAHA. AKA I accidentally kissed a 30 year old youngster. My companion was in shock- shes just like... WHY DID THAT LOOK SO NATURAL?! I was panicking obviously, because everyone just knows not to do it, so I didn't know what to do when he went in for it! If that wasn't bad enough after that we were teaching a lesson and this guy in his 20s walks into the house. And like... gives me a nugie? What is that called when people rub your head? Mas... it was like gentle. And awkward for everyone. People think Sister Fuller and I are BEAUTIFUL sisters (like as in... blood) and always want to touch us. That's the moral here. BUT it sometimes gets us into houses so Ive just kind of accepted it!

Speaking of getting into houses the other day it was POURING rain. I mean POURING. I sent you the picture. And we needed to escape the rua (road). So we clap at the rain woman's door (I just made that up, her name is actually Rosali HOSE-AH-LEE). We tell her we are messengers of God and we have a message. So she gets us towels and are just chatting for a second and she goes- I would like you to tell me more about the message God has for me! SUREEEE! So we tell her how the church of Jesus Christ has been restored to the earth. That the authority of God was given to the Prophet Joseph Smith in these latter days. Then I ask her to be baptized and she says- com certeza (essentially CERTAINLY!) and accepts a date for next week. Our lives... they kill me. I LOVE BRAZIL.

Oh then we were having almoƧo (lunch) with a member (they feed us lunch here) and she says- oh my son wants to be interviewed for baptism next week by the way. wait... whaaa? He hasn't even been meeting with us! So we met with him yesterday, and it sounds like he will be baptized this Saturday. Again. Life is like a dream over here. OH and we had a baptism this week of TIAGO! Technically he was the other sisters, but we serve in the same ward, so it was super cool to see him join his family in becoming a member of the church! And then his baby was blessed during sacrament and the mom had to hold here and then everyone just put their hands on her while she wiggled around like a cute little Brazilian baby. HILARIOUS.

Oh and speaking of hilarious. I accidentally agreed to give my third talk in sacrament meeting in Brazil. And by that I mean almost every week I have spoken? No worries, people always yell out correct congugations to help me. Mas, no one ever tells me I sound like Sheri Dew here? Probably because Sheri Dew can actually speak her language... Um dia. Um dia. (Shout out Sister Armstrong, she always says that)

So on Sunday we were chatting with some people who like to practice their english with us and help us with our Portuguese. So I throw out some new vocab one of the Portuguese Elders taught me. Bacana. And everyone DIES. Apparently its like saying groovy or something from the 70s. Its exciting to know I am such a hip American you know? Then one of the boys gets all excited because I am from Arizona (i redeemed myself with this. Thanks for having me in Arizona mom!) because apparently he has a hat that says ARIZONA. I say ohhh? SERIO? Qual time? (aka which team?) Turns out he just has a hat that says Arizona. Im like.... WHY?! A guy who speaks a lot of English goes- it could say BLENDER and we would love it. Liqidificadora... that's legal (cool).

Uhhh lots of other awesome things happened this week a highlight of which is I have MASSIVE tan lines because I am ALWAYS burnt. Minha vida.

Anyway, I love yall MUITO!
Its a good thing Im here doing what the Lord would have me do or Id be home in a heartbeat. That's how much I miss you!

TCHAU!
Sister Mills
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment