Monday, October 7, 2013

Blizzards bring Miracles - and not the Dairy Queen Kind

Things I'm still waiting on... my VISA, mom's Pumpkin Bread recipe, and now her crepe recipe... BUTTT all is good in Cody this week! Someone in the ward (who knew of my fervent love for reading) informed me that Tom Clancy died?! Whaaat?! Saddest event of my mission so far! He will be missed by all of us true fans who consider his books classics! Hahaha.
This week was PRETTY amazing, despite my... sickness. (I'm worried it won't be gone after the anti-biotics, because it's still going strong! But we'll exercise some faith and go get tested again on Thursday. Get tested... boy does that sound awful! Haha.) It snowed! Like... 8 inches. SNOWED. And different members of the ward called us over to pick out some winter clothes because they know I was in no way prepared for this! And in October of all things! It's a running joke though, because I LOVED it, and I ran straight outside to take pictures and chuck snowballs at Sister Helm. She loved it. I hit her with one outside of an investigators house and she goes, "AND SHE'S GOT AN ARMMMMM!"


My favorite miracle of the week is Mary Kay. Her friend formerly lived in our ward, and moved the DAY we arrived. She had been praying for sisters as SHE served a mission herself and knew some of her friends would be PERFECT for the sisters! Well she met us at a wedding and gave us a ton of referrals, but didn't have their addresses, so it was like getting to peak at your Christmas presents, only to find out you have to wait til Santa gets home to South Wyoming and looks up the addresses to open them... wait. I think that metaphor might have just gotten real. Hahaha. So I get on Facebook last week and in my inbox is Mary Kay's address!

We were so excited! It was snowing hard core outside and she lived up like 10 miles on the South Fork (aka in the mountains), but we know we receive blessings from contacting referrals right away so we took a chance! HA! As we drive up the hill, the snow is getting worse and worse til it is practically a blizzard (I say practically because it was, but I don't want to freak you out). We get to her house and thank GOODNESS she was home.

We knock and wait a while, and then she finally opens the door but not the screen and goes- " WHO IS IT?!" "OH MY GOODNESS YOU GIRLS! GET INSIDE RIGHT NOW YOU ARE GOING TO FREEZE!" Then she proceeds to show us the gun she had pulled out when someone knocked on her door in a blizzard. Ohh the life of a missionary. Anyway she let us in and we talked for about 2 hours. We answered her questions about caffeine and taught her about the Restoration of the true Gospel of Jesus Christ.

Then she tells us- "I just don't think it's right that if you are raised Muslim or something that you would be punished for not knowing the truth! When you never knew any better!" I answer- "You won't be, everyone will have an opportunity to accept the true gospel of Jesus Christ, buuuut, if you had an opportunity and you didn't take it..." She goes- "OH MY GOODNESS WHAT ARE YOU DOING HERE THEN! OH NOOO, LEAVE!" Hahaha. First person I have ever taught that has ever made that connection. That this is her opportunity. Anyway, she promised to read and pray about the Book of Mormon and said we could come back and visit with her husband too next time (who was hunting. Like everyone. In the whole state of Wyoming.) Then her son goes, "we should let them spend the night! Now, Sister Helm, I don't care if people behind you are going HONK HONK, you drive as slow as you need okay?!" ... he's 9.

I just love the people here. I love them so much, I never knew I could feel this way about everyone in a certain geographical area despite their troubles and pains. I can feel the Savior's love so deeply, and I know this is his gospel.

Oh, I almost forgot conference! WHAT THE BEST CONFERENCE EVER! Not kidding, I can't pick a favorite talk! I LOVED THEM ALL! We had the opportunity to watch Elder Holland's talk with our member who has had MS for 25 years and is just so amazing about it. By the end we were in tears and I gave her a big hug and said, "NORMA, YOU'LL BE WHOLE!" We laughed for a good 5 minutes after that.

I also LOVED President Uchtdorf's talk. I want everyone in the entire world to hear that talk. Everyone. Because we've all have doubts. We've all wondered why. And here we are, getting the answers through our loving Heavenly Father.

"Whether by mine own voice, or by the voice of my servants, it is the same." D&C 1:38


I've included it so everyone can watch it again. Because WOW. This church is true. I love you very much and am so appreciative of all the prayers. I can feel their influence and impact on my life!

LOVEYOUMISSYOUMUITOMUITOMUITO!
 
Sister Haley K. Mills

No comments:

Post a Comment